Fosters are an integral part of our organization. The more fosters we have, the more dachshunds we can save. Fosters give our dogs a home environment to live in, either while they recover from medical procedures or while they are waiting to find their forever homes.
We need both short and long-term fosters. Short-term fosters are for dogs that are ready to be adopted and will need to be transported to and from adoption events. Long-term fosters are for dogs that are either extremely overweight and need to get to a healthy weight or for dogs that are recovering from extensive medical procedures.
Q: Do I Need To Provide The Food For My Foster Dog?
A: We would prefer that you do this to offset our costs, but food can be provided if necessary. Please don't let the additional cost of dog food prevent you from volunteering to foster.
Q: How Long Will I Have My Foster Dog?
A: It depends. Sometimes, it takes as little as a few days, but other times, it could be several weeks. If you are going out of town, please let the foster coordinator know, so other arrangements can be made.
Q: How Do I Become A Foster?
A: Fill out the online foster form and we will contact you.
Q: What Is Provided With My Foster Dog?
A: We will provide a collar, harness, and leash. We will also provide a crate for transportation if requested.
Q: I Have Other Dogs, Will My Foster Dog Be Up-To-Date On Vaccinations?
A: All of our dogs are up-to-date on Rabies, DHPP, Bordetella and are heartworm-negative. If a dog tests positive for heartworm, we will need to put them with a long-term foster for treatment and recovery. We cover all costs for medical care.
Volunteers are the backbone of our organization. We expect our volunteers to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all events as we are representing the organization. We need volunteers in all areas of our organization.
• Are you proficient at writing? Would you like to write a newsletter for us?
• Are you a dog whisperer? We are always looking for training help with our dogs.
• Do you have friends in the press that can help us promote our organization?
• Do you have time on weekends to help at adoption events?
• Are you good at fundraising? Do you have ideas to help us raise funds for the medical needs of our dogs?
• Do you like walking dogs and don’t mind picking up after them? Maybe you can help at adoption events.
• Do you have a child between the ages of 14 and 17 that needs to have volunteer hours? They can join our junior volunteer program.
• Do you marketing experience to help us get sponsors?
• Do you have speech experience to talk to civic groups about us?
• Do you have grant writing experience o write grants for us?